FSC International has developed its global plan for the next 5 years and this states that we need to be bolder, stronger, and measurably more effective.
This is as true at the national office level as at the global level.
Whilst we need to include domestic matters and ensure that key issues, such as supporting our certificate base and meeting contractual obligations, are addressed, the FSC UK strategic plan has been developed in the context of FSC’s global vision and mission and our own charitable objectives.
The world’s forests meet the social, ecological and economic rights and needs of the present generations without compromising those of future generations.
The Forest Stewardship Council AC shall promote environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
Forests for All Forever.
• Respect for diversity – FSC will promote an environment of inclusiveness, tolerance, fairness, equity, and generosity that recognises that understanding the perspectives of others is the key to raising global awareness, being locally relevant, and fulfilling our mission
• Empowerment - FSC will promote equitable participation in decision making and the empowerment of workers, indigenous peoples, communities, smallholders, women and other less advantaged groups
• Shared solutions - FSC will ensure that solutions to forest challenges are in support of the full spectrum of interest groups that are engaged in advancing sustainable forest management
FSC UK commits itself to the same values as the global organisation: respect for diversity, empowerment and shared solutions. In practical terms this means that we will strive to deliver FSC’s mission on the ground within the UK at all relevant levels within the bounds of our resources, for example to government, industry and commerce and to the general public. We believe we have an obligation to ensure that FSC’s policies, programmes and standards are appropriate and workable in the UK context.
FSC UK’s Charitable Objectives
The Charity’s objectives are to promote, for the benefit of the public, the protection and conservation of the world’s forests. In particular, but not exclusively, by:
1. Introducing and promoting a programme of voluntary accreditation of forest certification bodies
2. Developing consensus around standards for good forest management
3. Increasing public awareness about independent forest certification
The Charity works to promote the FSC system in the UK by:
• Raising awareness of the value of responsibly managed forests
• Supporting certificate holders and retailers to maximise the market for FSC products and thus
increase the demand for certified forests
• Encouraging maximum participation from the UK in FSC’s global objectives
• Protecting the integrity of the FSC logo
Priorities for FSC UK
• Improve standards for forest management and promote FSC forest management certification in the
UK for all sizes and types of forest
• Engage, support and represent existing and potential FSC Licence Holders (this includes
Certificate Holders) to maximise demand for FSC certified products and projects
• Inform and educate people about FSC and forest ecosystems to foster awareness and
understanding and elicit positive behaviour change
• Ensure that FSC is positioned as the most credible forest certification scheme
• Improve effectiveness of how FSC operates as One Global Organisation