Friday, 12 May 2017
Ends Soon: The first public consultation on Demonstrating the Impact of Forest Stewardship on Ecosystem Services
FSC have made a procedural document for certificate holders and a discussion paper on market tools and trademark use available for feedback from stakeholders. The consultation period runs from 24 March to 21 May 2017. Please remember to submit your feedback.
In its Global Strategic Plan 2015–2020, FSC commits to offering new tools for certificate holders to access ecosystem services markets, resulting in increased net revenue for forest owners. This is part of a broader strategy to increase the market value of FSC.
The FSC ecosystem services tools include a new procedure to demonstrate the impact of forest management activities on ecosystem services, as well as tools to access ecosystem services markets. These tools are presented in FSC-PRO-30-006 Demonstrating the Impact of Forest Stewardship on Ecosystem Services and FSC-DIS-30-006 Market Tools and Trademark Use for Demonstrated Ecosystem Services Impacts. FSC require feedback on these two documents from FSC stakeholders, including FSC members, forest companies, certification bodies, certificate holders, and those involved or interested in ecosystem services markets.
The objectives of the consultation are as follows:
For the Procedure
- to receive feedback on whether we have found the right balance between scientific rigour and practical application to demonstrate impacts
- to receive input on adapting the procedure for smallholders
- to receive technical feedback in order to improve the credibility, feasibility, and cost-effectiveness of the procedure
- to identify areas that will need further guidance
- to receive feedback on new requirements -related to other FSC standards- which are proposed to facilitate implementation of the procedure
For market tools detailed in the discussion paper
- to receive feedback on the value of the proposed approaches to create market tools based on demonstrated ecosystem services impacts, and input on how to improve the value offered
- to receive feedback on the relative benefits and risks associated with different market tools
- to receive feedback on different options for trademark use in association with demonstrated ecosystem services impacts
To take part in the consultation, log in on the consultation platform and follow the link to the Public Consultation on the Ecosystem Services Procedure, Market Tools and Trademark Use.
Your feedback will help us further shape the procedure and FSC’s strategic approach to developing ecosystem services tools that produce benefits for the forest and managers of FSC certified forests.