FSC International has developed its global plan up to 2020 and this states that we need to be bolder, stronger, and measurably more effective.
This is as true at the national office level as at the global level.
© FSC UK / G.DeakinThe FSC UK 2018-2021 Strategic Plan builds on our previous three-year plan and is developed in the context of FSC’s global vision and mission and our own charitable objectives. As we seek to align ourselves as “One FSC” the strategic priorities for FSC UK increasingly reflect our global objectives.
Whilst we will always need to react to new challenges and opportunities, we need to have clarity in terms of our overarching priorities and to translate these priorities into objectives, deliverables and key performance indicators.
The world’s forests meet the social, ecological and economic rights and needs of the present generations without compromising those of future generations.
The Forest Stewardship Council AC shall promote environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
Forests for All Forever.
- Increased focus on outcomes: FSC will deliver meaningful impact, report on outcomes, and refine the system accordingly.
- Empowerment of People: Through our actions, FSC will empower smallholders, women, communities, workers, Indigenous Peoples and other under-represented groups.
- Mission advancement through alliances: FSC will advance impact by working more closely with complementary and aligned organisations.
- User orientation: FSC will renew our entrepreneurial spirit and shift processes to emphasise the needs of the users of our system.
FSC UK commits itself to the same values as the global organisation: respect for diversity, empowerment and shared solutions. In practical terms this means that we will strive to deliver FSC’s mission on the ground within the UK at all relevant levels within the bounds of our resources, for example to government, industry and commerce and to the general public. We believe we have an obligation to ensure that FSC’s policies, programmes and standards are appropriate and workable in the UK context.
FSC UK’s Charitable Objectives
The Charity’s objects (the Objects) are to promote for the benefit of the public the protection and conservation of the world’s forests. In particular, but not exclusively, by:
1) Raising awareness of the value of responsibly managed forests
2) Promoting and supporting a programme of voluntary forest management certification and chain of custody certification
3) Developing consensus around standards for good forest management
4) Increasing public awareness about independent certification
The Charity works to promote the FSC system in the UK by:
- Raising awareness of the value of responsibly managed forests.
(which includes providing an FSC approved national forest stewardship standard and other woodland related guidance).
- Supporting certificate holders and retailers to maximise the market for FSC products and thus increase the demand for certified forests.
- Encouraging maximum participation from the UK in FSC’s global objectives.
- Protecting the integrity of the FSC logo.
Priorities for FSC UK
The following priorities have been agreed for 2018-2021:
- Improve standards for forest management and promote FSC forest management certification in the UK for all sizes and types of forest.
- Support and represent UK based FSC Licence Holders.
- Increase demand for FSC certification and FSC certified products.
- Ensure that FSC is positioned as the most credible forest certification scheme.
An overview of each priority is provided in our Strategic Plan Summary with associated objectives. FSC UK is committed to the concept of working as “One FSC” and collaboration with FSC International and the wider network is integral to each of the stated priorities.