Wednesday, 01 March 2017
New Controlled Wood Risk Assessments for Stakeholder Consultation
All stakeholders are invited to provide feedback on risk assessments for Denmark, Ireland, Latvia, Spain, and Vietnam. The consultation is open until 31 March 2017.
The FSC Controlled Wood Standard (FSC-STD-40-005 V3-0) outlines the requirements for a due diligence system for FSC Chain of Custody certified organisations to avoid material from unacceptable sources. Material from unacceptable sources cannot be used in FSC Mix products.
The five FSC controlled wood categories of unacceptable sources (referred to as controlled wood categories) are:
1) Illegally harvested wood;
2) Wood harvested in violation of traditional and human rights;
3) Wood from forests in which high conservation values are threatened by management activities;
4) Wood from forests being converted to plantations and non-forest use; and
5) Wood from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted.
Draft risk assessments for Denmark, Ireland, Latvia, Spain, and Vietnam, conducted as part of the FSC centralised national risk assessment project, are available for download on the consultation webpage, along with respective forms for submitting comments. Once approved, these risk assessments will be used by organisations implementing the FSC Controlled Wood Standard (FSC-STD-40-005 V3-0) to source controlled wood from these countries.
Click here for more information and to access the risk assessments and comment forms.